Welcome.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

For Moryn and The Lost King

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Adira

PostSubject: For Moryn and The Lost King   Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:41 pm

RULES:

Please adhere to all rules of this forum, which can be found here.

This RPG is a special one in nature. Yes, we are getting character roles, and playing a game, but this isn’t the place for one liners. This sort of game is to also test your imagination and writing skills. No worries, not an amazing writer? We can’t all be Tolkien, Dekker, and Herbert. Just please, have posts be at Minimum one standard paragraph (3 to 5 sentences). Posts of longer lengths are of course, more than welcome!

Write out scenes, but leave room for improvisations of other’s characters. This is a game, and we are going to work as a unit. Thus, keep tabs on your character and where they are. Also, check with other players before storming off with them to a dangerous zone.

Try to stay in character. All OOC posts are welcome in the thread in the OOC section. That is where you can ask about storming off with characters, see if others are ready for a plot twist, so on and so forth.

No killing other characters. It is just rude, and it just isn’t fun. Of course, if you have written permission in the OOC thread to kill someone’s character, you’re more than welcome.

Don't over power your character; there is no need for you to be Superman. If you think someone else's character is over powered, bring it up in the OOC thread, do not under any circumstances bring a complaint dealing with this issue up with a moderator, it's not their job.
If there is a complaint issued about an Overpowered character, a consensus will be reached with the majority of players. If the majority decides it is in fact, not overpowered, please expand your imagination and write your character out of the situation.

Character Bios should not be posted in this discussion. Please put them in the OOC thread. Please note that character bios are not required, but are more than welcome.

There was a time, so long ago, where man lived beside magical creatures. But that time, is not now. Wizards, pixies, and dragons alike, have all faded from the memories of man aside from myths, bedtime stories, and the occasional madman retelling his encounter to a raving tavern.

In the land of Moryn there was a kingdom that thrived in peace and prosperity. The king, Aldrych, was wise beyond his years and loved by all. Their army was strong, and had successfully driven back many raids and attacks. But one day, the castle was stormed by a new race of men, never before seen in Moryn. The beloved King, though a strong warrior, was unable to defeat the strange works of these men and the vile creatures that followed. Alas, King Aldrych fell, and his body was stolen. Unless the king's body is retrieved, the beloved king's soul will never wander the halls of his forefathers.

And so, young Prince Angelmar, being only seven, was left an orphan, and unable to rule the kingdom. A Regent was named, until his eighteenth birthday to rule Moryn in Angelmar's stead. The Regent to the Crown, Lord Taggart, is assembling the Army—an army that has not been seen since the times of old. The land of Moryn calls Warriors and Mages of exceptional valor and courage to fight against the evils of the ghoulish fiends who have rampaged the lands and murdered the beloved king. This new race of men who are empowered by an unknown evil must be stopped, and King Aldrych's body must be found! The fate of Moryn lies in the hands of a fleeting hope...in myths of old...in you, our heroes.
Back to top Go down
Invisible

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:02 pm

Ryn was sitting on a stump by his log hut, quarterstaff on his knees, enjoying the sunrise, when the messenger rode up. Ryn recognized the banner of the Kingdom. He thought he even recognized the messenger, but he had expected, when he had left for the Wilds, that he would remain undisturbed.

Oh, the news had come to him of the King's fall, and he often spied strange things at night, which was why he kept his doors tightly locked, but he was happy to be away from the wars...for he had spilt much blood.

He sighed and rose to meet the horsed figure. "You are brave, Captain," he said. "It is dangerous to roam through the Wilds at night."

"I had no choice," the messenger spat. "I was beset at the inn I was staying, and barely escaped with my horse and my banner. Apparently the name of the Kingdom is not as widely respected as it once was."

"Come," Ryn said. "Be refreshed. Then you can tell me your message."

"You are missed at the Court," the messenger, Elan by name, said as they sat over hot tea. "We could use you in the wars that are besetting us."

"I am growing old," Ryn said. "I have lived a good life, and I had the thanks of Aldrych, may the Light rest on his soul." He leaned back to take the bite out of his words, but Elan still started.

"What if I told you Aldrych's soul is not at rest," Elan whispered, lowering his voice. "What if I told you he is not buried in honor?"

"I heard the news of the burial," Ryn said. "I even saw it from a distance. The King was laying at rest in the royal carriage, unless my eyes cheated me."

"Merely a proxy, to rest the minds of the people," Elan said smoothly. "Lord Ryn, for Lord you still are, find and rescue his body, and you will have the thanks of the new Prince and his Regent."

Ryn grunted and leaned forward, his black eyes fixing the messenger. Now Elan looked slightly pale, big man though he was. "Tell me more," the Lord of the Dawn said.

(He is called the Lord of the Dawn because he lives at the very eastern point of the Kingdom. I am assuming the cosmology of this world is the same as ours.)
Back to top Go down
Tyjaham

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Youta braced himself against the yellow sandstone bricks, doing his best to blend in with his surroundings.

"Blend into the shadows... hold your breath... And wait for your target to let down his guard," he whispered, tightening the grip on the blade held in his right hand. A hurried breath could be heard from around the corner.

"Tune in to your target; know his thoughts and actions," his lips mouthed silently.

"Strike your target before he is aware of your existence!" Youta shouted as he lunged around the corner catching the sprinting fugitive in the throat with his blade. The man's body fell forward as a fine red mist filled the air.

"Another job well done," he said thinking out loud. Grabbing one of the broken shackles, he dragged the body out of the road and laid it against the great wall that encircled the city. Now began the paperwork.

Upon returning to the Great Hall, the town Father pulled Youta aside.

"Haruki, have you done the deed?"

"Yes, the heretic's body lays beside the city gates."

"Good, very good. You never cease to amaze. Empty compliments aside, I have a new task for you."

"Anything for the benefit of Sol, my Liege."

"You will go to capital city. This morning a messenger arrived on behalf of Lord Taggart. King Aldrych has been slain."

Youta gasped, "But we are not at war, Sir. The King should have been safe in the High Castle, it is the most secure building in Moryn! Not even I could enter unawares!"

"That is why I am sending you, my most loyal assassin to aid Lord Taggart."

"Well... I suppose it would be good practice for the man who would transcend the Ancient Ones... You have my word, Lord Taggart will have the service of the Blood Blade, Youta Haruki, Star of the Day Sky."

"Don't let that attitude get away with you." But it was too late, Youta had already left. Though an appyre he was, Youta had lost his ability for flight. Instead, he mounted a black stallion and rode east to the Grand Capital and out of the Desert.
Back to top Go down
Justin
Ard Righ

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:10 am

Valadan stood before Lord Taggart, his heart in his chest. He had seen King Aldrych fall, the mighty warrior a standard of power even as he lay at the feet of the dark armored Wizard that had slain him. Now as he knelt he noticed that none of that raw power existed in Lord Taggart, who was a quiet bookish man that did not have that drawing ability that made a man follow you with all their heart.

Taggart pulled at his black goatee as he went up and down the line of knights, warriors, and wizards, among them were many who had not been back in the Capitol for years. Retired knights and deposed disgraced knights. Many of the original army had fallen in the first battle, and there were few like Valadan left. Valadan's own father had fallen as well, at the same hands as the one who killed the King.

I will avenge you, my father Valadan thought.

Taggart stopped before him, his kind face taking on a distant faraway look.

"Rise, Sir Valadan."

Valadan stood.

"I knew your father, he was a good man."

"Yes."

"He spoke well of you. He would be proud to see you standing here today."

Valadan smiled, but continued to be formal. He felt it a bit odd that Taggart was breaking ritual like this.

A boy was seated on the throne, about 7, with golden curly hair like his fathers. But he had his mother's eyes, blue as an unclouded sky. Prince Angelmar. Even at 7 he looked a young man who would rival his father.

Taggart was still speaking and Valadan realized he was trying to give him something.

"Your father wished you to have this. He said he was sorry he never told you of it, but that he had to give it to you."

Taggart handed him a dagger. It was enclosed in a hilt covered in runes. Magical? He watched as Taggart moved on, and felt Prince Angelmar's eyes on him. The young boy was watching him, almost seeming to calculate him. The prince's eyes seem to know far more than a seven year old boy should. The prince smiled and Valadan smiled back. The man beside him grunted and Valadan started, returning to at ease stance. He could feel the steel in his hands, and the outline of the runes on the hilt, but it was not cold, it was warm, and he shivered. He would have to find out about this dagger later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the far west of the kingdom, along the edge of the Desert which marked the western edge of Moryn, and the beginning of the kingdom of Tsai, a man sat by a fire. Behind him was forest, and ahead the Cold River, which ran along the border. He was staring into the fire, humming, seeing things in the flames. In his hands he held a small harp. The metal of which it was made was unknown to any man, and even to the Black Dwarves. It was silver in color, but shining, and it glowed in the moonlight. He plucked at the strings, a sad song drifting forth from the tones, his humming coincided with the tune, and in the flames was a scene of a ship, floating in the air, a man on it's deck wearing a black cloak. The man turned to look at the bard, and the scene faded.

"The future? or the past?" The bard asked himself, but himself did not answer.

A twig snapped and the song stopped abruptly, the fire itself going out in a puff of smoke. Night descended black, and a woman's voice cursed in the trees behind him.

"He..Hello?" The voice asked.

Talis sighed, wishing to be alone, but he knew he could not hide from this one, for her kind had abilities of hearing and sight and smell beyond any human's.

"Come drow, and sit at my fire." He sang a new fire into existence, this one held together when he stopped singing and he threw a few pieces of wood onto it as the Drow woman walked into the firelight, hesitantly. She was beautiful, and her brown hair seemed to flow in and of itself in the wind.

"I..heard the singing and decided to investigate."

"I'm glad you did, my fire does well with beauty such as yours to sit beside it."

His charm was lost on her, but she sat anyways, laying her spear at her side.

"You're the one they call Talis, I've heard of you."

A legend even among the Drow, he smiled at this.

"I am."

"Why are you here? The desert is no place for anyone but the Tsai, and the kingdom lies behind you, as if you are leaving."

"What is it to you?"

She shook her head, as if she was confused that she even cared, but he could tell it was the spell of his song that had drawn her in, and was clouding her thoughts now.

"You've had the pleasure of my name, but I have not of yours."

She frowned, embarrassed and said "Dray, Dray Swiftspear."

"Ah, the king's daughter, I was not aware I was in the presence of such illustrious company." He watched as she looked at the fire, and wondered if she'd seen what he had Weaved into the flames.

"There are some who would say I am just as dangerous as whatever might be out there in the desert. And they might be right. But I do know I can live there, as I have passed through it without harm."

Surprised she looked at him with a newfound respect, and he laughed to himself. She was young, young enough still to believe the legends told her, and young enough to take him at his word. Sure, he had actually passed through the desert, but it was further north, along it's northern border, where it was safer. The actual desert, well, even if the legends weren't true, would be too dangerous of a place to try to travel through.

Unfortunately he had to.

The spell on her was wearing off, and he could see she was becoming more wary, as if suddenly realizing she was conversing with a complete stranger.

"Well, perhaps it is time I take my leave," and she fingered her spear, her muscles tensing.

"I will not hurt you, though you know now that my spell drew you here. The truth is that you cannot go Dray of the Cold River Tribe."

Her eyes were fearful, but there was iron in them, she was not a coward.

"Because the Eyes of Fate are upon us, I was unsure as to the time of the vision, but I know now it was the Future, and not the past. I saw a ship in the flames, a ship unlike any other, for it floated not on sea but air, and I was on that ship, and you, and others, one of them a young knight with red hair and a Death's Tooth Dagger."

"I...I don't understand."

"We're bound now, you and I, bound by time itself. For my visions, they always come true."

He was lying, for he had to make them come true, but rarely did what was seen turn out to be something else entirely, he liked to believe that Fate was on his side, and with the very woman from his vision now sitting beside him, he knew that coincidence was not the answer.

She still seemed confused, and unwilling, and he watched as she stood up to leave, disappearing into the trees.

"It does not matter, child, the Story is already written, we're just reading the pages." And he sang the fire out, before laying down to sleep, fearing neither man nor animal, for he had seen himself in his vision, alive and well.

"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd. " Jules from Pulp Fiction
Back to top Go down
Nikolai

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:38 am

CLANG!

CLANG!

CLANG!

It took Ashur a few minutes to realize he had a visitor, standing outlined in the doorway of the dimly lit forge room. He paused mid-swing, glancing at the shadowy figure and nodding.

"I'll be right with ye, sir. I'm afraid this blade cannae wait."

"No hurry. 'Tis a treat to watch a master smith at work." The man's voice held a deep, musical tone with a hint of familiarity to it.

Ashur nodded again and let the hammer fall, working in silence for another ten minutes, raining swift and sure strikes down upon the glowing length of metal as it slowly but surely began to assume the shape of a slender saber. When he was satisfied, Ashur grunted and plunged the blade into the reservoir, turning back to face his guest.

"What can I do for ye, m'lord?" Ashur asked, wiping his hands on an old rag.

"Armour. And a lot of it. Rather quickly too, if at all possible."

The dwarf scratched his beard, regarding the man carefully. "Aye, 'tis possible. For a price, of course..."

The silhouette bobbed his head once, indulgingly. "But of course. The finest smithing deserves the finest coin, straight from the royal treasury."

A gleam of recognition sparked in Ashur's eye, and he bowed. "Lord Taggart. I thought I recognized your voice. An unexpected surprise, to say the least."

Taggart drew closer, his face finally revealed in the light of the forge. "A pleasant one, I hope."

The blacksmith harrumphed loudly. "But of course. 'Tis always an honour to craft for the royal house. What does his Royal Highness require?"

"Well, in lieu of the late king's demise, I've chosen to err on the side of caution and have commissioned a new battalion of Royal Guards, to be specially trained - and outfitted - to protect the young Crown Prince."

"A battalion?" Ashur let out a low whistle.

"Five hundred men, to be exact. Full plate, worthy of both ceremony and battle. Price is no object. Am I to assume that, left to your own devices, any attempt to set a standard of quality will be defied?" The Reagent smiled, knowing full well that the master blacksmith standing before him was already busy designing the armour in his head.

The dwarf grinned. "I shall send word when it is finished!"

Lord Taggart nodded curtly. "Excellent. If that is all, I shall let you return to your work, as I must do also. It is a pleasure to do business with you, as always, Ashur."

"Indeed. There is much to attend to. Farewell for now then, m'lord."

The two men nodded to each other one last time, then the Reagent turned and made his way out. Ashur waited until he could no longer hear Lord Taggart's footsteps echoing down the stone corridor leading away from his office/study before he finally let out the breath he had been holding. King Aldrych had chosen his advisors well. Taggart - veteran general of many battles - was a capable and responsible Reagent, the smith thought to himself.

"Well me lad, you've got your work set out for you." He smiled and said to no-one in particular, reaching for his hammer once more.

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:28 am

The sun set and the sun rose. The sun set and the sun rose. The sun set and the sun rose. For 3 nights and 4 days Youta rode across the sands on that ebony steed. The days were long, but the sun did shine, a glowing yellow in a sea of blue bathing the sands in pure, untainted light. The nights, however, were a different matter entirely. They were cold and dark. To a human, this would be the ideal time to travel, no true fear of heat exhaustion or dehydration, but to an Appyre... The moon, that great silver disk in the dark violet of the night sky, was merely a mirage of the sun. A lie told by a silvertongued charlatan that provided no truth, no life. To an Appyre, the moon was wretched, it returned the gift of hate with one equally enthroned in malice. The moon saps the life force from a true Appyre. Those Appyri, whose adultery with the moon goes unchecked, soon stray from the pure path and wet their lips with the taste of the blood of men and beastfolk. Youta hated the night but still he rode.

While the sun waned in amber twilight, Youta Haruki exited the desert lands. By the second twelfth, he had reached Capital City. Now, while it would have been simple and acceptable for Youta to simply approach the gates and state the meaning of his sojourn, that was not the kind of man Youta was. The man who would surpass the Ancients would not be waited upon, he would test his skills in the crucible that was the city walls. And so, the Blood Blade began his foolish endeavor and scaled the near sheer rock walls.
Back to top Go down
Invisible

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:54 am

Ryn smiled at the young messenger- smiled, but not with his eyes. "I've heard of you," he said. "Young Elan, newly raised from his mother's apron strings."

Elan stiffened in outrage, but it was time to begin pruning the branch Ryn had been given

'Most fools," Ryn said dryly, "would not trust their eyes. How do you know I am who you say?" The shadows darkened around him. "I could be an Appyre, or a Griffen, come to disguise my true intentions."

"I walk in the light!" Elan insisted. "I deny the shadows."

"Yet your loose lips would sink the whole kingdom," Ryn said, feeling the sun come back out from behind the high, sharp rock that marked the western boundary of his property. Elan stiffened, but did not speak. "So you can keep your temper without speaking," Ryn said with a slight smile that this time touched his eyes. "Good. Now, tell me all your news."

"Bandits, it is said," Elan whispered. "But the word among the council of lords is...that dark powers stir. They must, for the High Castle to be invaded. It has not fallen yet...in part thanks to you."

Ryn sighed. "Keep to the point, boy," he said. "I promise your flattery does not work with me...one who had the full favor of the King."

Elan swallowed, but held the knight's eyes steadily. "The new regent is calling all the heroes of old to track down and find the ones who killed the king and stole his body. Will you come, Lord of the Dawn?"

Ryn was long in answering. He looked around his little hut, filled with peace and safety. He thought he would live out the rest of his days in quiet, but now everything had changed. "I will come," he said at last. "It may be my last battle, but I will come." Mind made up, he strapped his staff crosswise across his back and put a long, serrated knife at his waist. Over that he put a gray and green cloak, the colors of the swampy and wet Wilds.

Elan's horse, a fractious stalllion, was still where he had left it.

"We will have to get another horse for you," Elan said uncertainly. "I brought little gold with me, but I have..."

He trailed off as Ryn broke into an easy trot he could keep all day. "Can you keep up?" he tossed over his shoulder. "We shall see!"
Back to top Go down
Adira

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:04 pm

She felt the earth moan as it drank the blood of mortals. The wind carried the cries of death, clashes of metal, and the spark of....magic? She was not unfamiliar to such a spark, but these lands had long ago forsaken outward use. The dryad spread her roots so that she may detect any disturbances in her forest. Men on horseback were riding from the kingdom nearby.
She heard whispers of terror. The wise King had fallen, and Moryn was to go to war. Lumber would be needed, but she doubted these men knew why King Aldrych refused to touch the forest bordering the south of his land. Few also realized that no raid had touched Moryn from the south. In trade for the protection of the forest, the forest had protected Moryn from the south.

The messengers spoke to a man in the forest. The Regent was forming a battalion of mythical creatures to strike back against the dark sorcery that attacked Moryn. The dryad brooded on the idea as she began to transform into her humanoid appearance. In long strides she ran toward the castle, all the while making a high pitched whooping noise. A shadow enveloped the ground surrounding the dryad, and she gazed upward at the large beast. The winged creature landed, and nuzzled the dryad.

"I have not seen this form in quite some time, Dassa." a low purr like growl mixed with the voice.
"There has been no need, old friend. I hope my branches have proven a trustworthy nest for these many years." replied the dryad.
"As always, Dassa. And now, in return for a safe home for my young, you are in need of a service from me. I do hope it
isn't too long of one, old friend. You are taking my nest with you" long talons plucked twigs from the long ashen hair," and I will be in need of a new one in only two months time!"

"A fairly quick journey, dear gryphon—to the gates of Moryn. The journey back may be used to gather supplies for your nest. I will not be returning for some time."

"AH! The war! Hop on dryad, and do not forget to have a firm grip."

The gates of Moryn were cluttered with merchants, soldiers, and travelers alike. Many turned and stared, others cowered or screamed, as the large gryphon descended beside the crowd. The dryad released the mane and slid from the gryphon's neck.

"Thank you old friend, I do hope you choose my branches to be your nest if I return"
"When you return, Dassa, and of course..." the gryphon nuzzled her neck and then let out a vicious roar, "FOR MORYN!" The mighty gryphon soared to the distance.

The onlookers stared at the dark skinned maiden with bright green eyes and twig entangled hair as she strode toward the gate.
Back to top Go down
Justin
Ard Righ

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:22 am

"He's just a boy..."

Valadan heard the words in whispers down a hall he had just passed, he stopped, for he heard his father's name.

"Lord Dayne wished that I...."

"Lord Dayne never wanted you to give him the dagger Taggart."

"Captain Wayan, must I remind you that I am Regent now."

"No, no, we all know you're Regent now my friend, it's very clear. The rather large army camped inside and out our gates of miscreants and psychopaths makes that very clear. You're a good general Taggart, and a good man, but what you've done here is hand the kingdom over to the very people we tried to get rid of."

"I did it to protect us from far worse people Wayan. In time you'll understand that. Everyone deserves a second chance."

"But what of the Royal Guard? Who will lead it?"

Valadan was about to leave, pondering what he'd heard about the dagger when a voice popped up beside him, not trying to hide itself.

"Eavesdropping isn't good soldier."

The voices down the hallway died, and then footsteps were heard fading away.

Valadan turned to see a Drow, a male, standing there. He was wearing a suit of golden armour, the outline of flames burnished onto it. He'd seen that kind of armour before, but was unsure as to it's origin.

"Excuse me?" He asked.

The drow ignored him and looked down at his dagger he had strapped to his waist. He seemed to recognize it, but didn't mention it.

"My name is Owen Darklock, you must be young Valadan."

Val' winced at the "young". "A drow, you don't see too many of your kind in the city."

Owen nodded. "No, I left my tribe long ago, we...had differing beliefs. I am a Dragoon now."

Dragoon, dragon hunters, a band of warriors who hunted and killed dragons. They were mostly good men, seeking only to kill bad dragons, but some few of them saw it as a sport and killed any they found. They were despised among the fairies, but loved among men. That a Drow had chosen the life was tantamount to complete evil among his people. Valadan wondered what had made Owen become as he was.

Owen smirked as Valadan sized him up.

"Be careful of that dagger, what they were saying is true, it's very dangerous."

He turned to walk away and Valadan did not follow, he was already late for training and he figured he'd be seeing the Drow again, a man like that was not easily lost, even in this city.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Among the trees Dray felt safe again, away from the cold stare of that otherworldly Talis. He had terrified her, with his spells and his prophecies. She would go on no quest with him, that was final. She wished her brother was here, but Owen had left long ago, and his path was not hers now. Her father didn't even speak of him, and it was as if he had never existed. She thought of her mother too, a beautiful woman, killed by a Black Dragon, one of the last of that kind, before they'd gone extinct. Some told tales that others still lived, far to the south, in the Crehldor Mountains, but no one had ever lived to tell the true of it. She didn't believe it, but it wouldn't surprise her. Ancient and Old Things had a way of popping up when you least expected them. One old Drow storyteller had even told this story of a recent encounter, a seaman, a pirate in search of treasure had come across this island, and on the island was living an Elf. Elves had died out years ago, but the pirate's crew and he insisted the being was an Elf and that he had caused the sea to rise up and push them away from his island. Drow were descended from Elves, quite a few centuries removed and the ancient magic of that kind had long died out with them. An elemental magic, not unlike the magic of the fairies, like the dryads, or naiads. The Drow themselves possessed little magic, and they became more like Men every day.

She walked softly. And there was no sound on the wind. The land was changing. Magic was dying and those who used it were fewer and far between. She could feel it in the trees, and in the air, Moryn was changing. It needed it's king back.

The king was the heart of a kingdom, while it's people were it's soul. For Moryn to lose it's heart was a terrible thing. And for her to walk away in fear from possibly returning that heart to it's home was also terrible. Her father would not understand, and for once she felt closer to her brother, but she had to do what was right. She had been given a gift to read the land, and it's needs, she understood the wasting of magic unlike her father and his elders, who were more like human men.

She turned around to return to Talis, despite her misgivings about the man, and despite knowing he could not be trusted, she believed what he'd seen in the fire. And so she would go with him.

A couple hours later she walked back into his camp, where he was sleeping soundly.

"Took you long enough," He said, sitting up with a smile, looking completely rested. She watched warily as he stood, white cloaks waving in the morning breeze.

"Are you ready? Because where we're going next will probably change you forever, and it might not be for the better."

She nodded hesitantly and he smiled his disarming smile.

"Very well then," and he began walking west, into the desert. She looked back at her beloved forest for a moment, already wondering if she was making a mistake, but in her heart she knew she must follow The Bard, so she did, into the desert.

"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd. " Jules from Pulp Fiction
Back to top Go down
Tyjaham

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:49 am

"Yah-ha!"

A shout rang out in the cool night air. Youta threw his hands over his mouth and cursed. Assassins don't shout. Hopefully he hadn't been heard by the night watch. The crenelations behind him were somehow still warm from the day sky. A passerby with good night vision would have seen a smile cross the young appyre's face, perhaps even one of his small fangs. Youta silently inched along the wall with his back still to the battlements. Upon reaching one of the many round turrets, he placed his hands upon the interior wall and flung himself over, griping the rough stone tightly. Hanging from the wall he looked down, scanning the homes and markets for some sort of soft thing with which to cushion his fall. It appears the luck of the Star of the Day Sky runs low when competing with his nocturnal counterparts.

Youta pulled a small gray metal object from the folds of his garments. He hooked the curved point of this object over the lip of the stone wall and dropped the black cord tied end of the hook. Being beings built for flight, appyri were quite lighter than they appeared, this was quite the benefit to young Youta Haruki as the weight of a human his size would have either snapped the line or pulled the small iron hook from the rock. The Blood Blade made quick work of the decent for fear of being spotted. He dropped the final ten feet, his dark leather boots making a dull thud when he hit the ground.

"Did you hear that?" An old man sitting in front of his home asked to no one in particular. He frailly rose from his chair stepping on the orange cat that lay on in the dirt before him. The cat's shrill cry of pain drowned out the sound of a body rolling behind several large barrels, most likely filled with salted fish. The graying elder kicked the cat out of his way and walked up to the mouth of the dark alleyway.

"Is anybody there?" He asked to the dark, a touch of fear in his voice. He walked slowly into the dark and when he was near two large stinking barrels, Youta leapt over the barrels and ran off down the street, leaving the aging man to wonder if he was growing senile.

Now, it can be said that certain professions take a particular mindset for one to be successful. For a preacher that mindset would be caring, for a blacksmith, diligent, for an assassin, purposeful and collected. An assassin would plan each action and both the actions leading up to it and the actions after it. Youta Haruki was not a man of planning, yet against almost all odds, he very rarely failed at something he put his mind to. This time, he put his mind to entering the walls of the Grand Palace, and he did somehow...
Back to top Go down
Invisible

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:58 pm

(Ty...I am going to get involved with you a little. I hope you do not mind.)

By the time they reached the Great City, four days later, Ryn had proved the point about his strength and speed. Elan took his leave, and Ryn walked toward the Castle, seated on the highest hill.

The guards waved at him happily as he passed through the gate, and soon he stood before Taggart, along with a collection of knights and heroes. Some he knew, but some he did not. A drow...now there was a new race. And had he glimpsed a dryad?

So much magic made him tingle. He gripped his staff hard. He was merely a human. Or so he tried to convince himself, but when he took his hands away from his staff, the wood was far too warm, and where his hands had rested, the staff was browned, almost scorched. He gave an inaudible sigh as Taggart came to stand before him.

"Lord Ryn," he said, dipping his head in respect. "It is a pleasure to see you here."

"I wish I was here under different circumstances," the tall lord said quietly. "Nevertheless, I have come as you have requested."

"We all wish the circumstances were different," Taggart said. "It is our hope you can help make things right." Taggart moved on to speak to the next figure, a dwarf by his looks, and Ryn looked around, his eyes marking every detail. All was as it should be, but his shoulders still prickled. Something was not right.

He looked again at one of the towers, the one closest to the gate he had come in by. Someone, or something, was climbing up the tower ad had just come into view. Ryn felt his hands growing warm again at the presence of an intruder. Would anyone know if he in fact used his power? Maybe, maybe not. Turning slightly, he held out his hands and muttered under his breath. The figure climbing the wall suddenly slipped a little, sending a loose brick clattering to the lower ground. At once the guards were there, calling for the man? creature? to come down and give himself up.

Ryn smiled and turned back to his place in the line.

"You have sharp eyes," the Drow said, coming up to him. "I did not see the intruder, myself, until he slipped."

Ryn dipped his head. "One who has lived in the Wilds develops sharp eyes," he said.

"So he does," the drow laughed. "So he does."
Back to top Go down
Adira

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:36 am

Dassa spent the majority of her day attempting to peacefully and legally gain an audience with Lord Taggart. Her persistence granted her an audience, but one late at night when she was sure the human would be weary of a long day, and rather tired of being pleaded with for some request. However, his nonchalance at attempting to find a suitable time during the day only proved that Taggart knew nothing of the treaty between the Ancient Forest dwellers and the kingdom of Moryn.

The anticipation served as an agitation to the dryad. Her nails turned into thorns as she thought of her homeland being invaded by men unaware of the century old pact. These men would pay if one bush was uprooted. She refused to await nightfall in order to meet with the Regent. No, she would storm into his meeting hall, and demand an audience now. If men could go centuries with acting on impulse without completely wiping out their race, one dryad could do the same in such a dire time.

The dryad slipped through the corridors of the castle quickly, but without noise. Only two guards were posted at the doors of the royal meeting hall. Dassa slowly stepped out of the shadows, and smiled kindly to the guards. One took notice of her flirtatious gaze and batting eyelashes, and nudged his shift partner smiling. As she drew closer, Dassa reached in her garments, and the guards stiffened with the assumption of her drawing a weapon. The dryad withdrew a single white petal flower and smiled kindly. The guards grew lax and chuckled as Dassa could nearly hear their unspoken thoughts. And here I was thinking this pretty thing was here to harm us.

The dryad drew closer and giggled, smelling the flower. She offered it to the guards who both quickly bent to play along in the flirtatious game. As they began to inhale the soft perfume of the flower, Dassa brought the palm of her other hand to her face and kissed. The two looked up at the noise, to see the beautiful maiden blowing them a kiss with kind eyes. They continued to inhale as she blew a sleeping powder into their faces, and the two slowly sank to the floor.

Shaking her head, the dryad began to slowly opening the hall’s doors, as she heard a creature speaking. She listened; it was not a man, but an older race of some sort. Possibly some breed of elf.

"You have sharp eyes," the Drow said, coming up to him. "I did not see the intruder, myself, until he slipped."

Ryn dipped his head. "One who has lived in the Wilds develops sharp eyes," he said.

"So he does," the drow laughed. "So he does."

“But your ears need cleaning” interrupted Dassa, throwing herself into the doors and storming through. “Lord Taggart, I mean you no harm. I am a dryad of the ancient forest, and I come on behalf of the treaty penned by your ancestors many years ago.”[i]
Back to top Go down
Tyjaham

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:18 am

Youta cursed as the rock slipped out from under his foot. The grey chunk of castle hit the defenses, startling the night guard.

"Hey! You're not supposed to be up there!" The man holding the halberd shouted towards the shadow veiled intruder.
"It's ok! I'm here to see Regent Taggart!" This response did not please Mr. Halberd.
"I command you to give yourself up immediately!" The Star of the Day Sky could not fail in such a manner.

Youta leapt from the tower unto the keep walls. He strained his reach to grab onto the window sill, when he did, the ancient oak sent several splinters showering down from underneath his hands. With great strain, Youta pulled himself up into the window. As he pushed his head through the sheer curtains he sent a prayer, hoping he was not entering some sort of harem or woman's quarters. While a dashing rogue he may have been, he was certainly no pervert. Luckily if it was a maiden's quarters, there was no one present. Tumbling into the room Youta felt his hand instinctively grasp the blade on his hip. Staring down the door, Youta sprinted forward. He saw no hinges, thus the door must open out. He turned the handle and forced the grand wooden door ajar with his shoulder.

No guards. He ran down the hall, looking for doorways, windows, rafters, opportunities. He saw one. A window dead ahead, at the end of the hallway. Youta jumped forward, grasping the stones above the window, using it as a fulcrum to swing himself on the roof. He scrambled further onto the rooftop, afraid of falling to his death. Now came the difficult part. Where was the Great Hall? He scurried along the high pitched roof, "This must be the Throne Room," He told himself. Dropping to his stomach, Youta leaned over the ledge, looking for a window or some other access point into the Great Hall. Well, this window wasn't latched, and there were plenty of people in this room, some tapestries, big chairs... Must be it. He closed his eyes, hard, forming creasing his brow with concentration.

"I hope everyone's ready for my grand debut," Youta let the words out with shallow breath. He stood himself vertical on his hands and tipped over the ledge. He reached out and caught the hanging banner with both hands and swung in through the open window. He landed into a roll and stopped into his practiced stance.

"I, Blood Blade Youta Haruki the Star of the Day Sky, am here to offer my services to Lord Taggart, serving regent to the throne of Moryn!" Youta proudly shouted. I bet they all want my autograph now.
Back to top Go down
Justin
Ard Righ

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:29 pm

Valadan could not hide a small laugh at the strange entrance of the fairie woman and the Appyre. He could see Owen, sans his Dragoon armour, standing beside an older man. He recognized the man. Any knight who truly cared about the kingdom would recognize Lord Ryn. The man was a legend.

He strode across, ignoring the fairy's eye, who seemed annoyed that her plea had been largely interrupted by the Appyre's stunt. The Appyre himself was being surrounded by guards. Taggart, who was near Ryn left the older man's side, and walked across to the guards.
"Well, Youta Haruki you say? A strange way to get my attention, but I couldn't expect anything different from an Appyre."
Youta nodded, smirking a little.
"So you wish to join my army?"

The rest of the conversation lessened as Valadan drew near Ryn and Owen, Owen was just introducing himself, and naming his profession when Val' drew aside them.
Owen saw him and grinned. "And this, this is young Valadan Rayvensvere."
Ryn sized him up, "The son of Dayne Rayvensvere?"

"Yes."

"Your father was a good man, we served together in the Kraken Wars."

"He told me, he said you were the greatest warrior he had ever known."

Ryn laughed softly.

"Well, you see me here now, I am merely a man."

Valadan nodded.

"That is a strange dagger you wear at your waist, Valadan, may I see it?"

Valadan could feel Owen watching them intensely as he handed the dagger to Ryn.

"These runes, they are runes of binding, made to keep whatever magic is in the dagger itself from getting out of the scabbard. This is your father's dagger, no?" He asked this with a strange tone to his voice, as if he already knew the answer.

"Yes, it was given to me by Lord Taggart, who said that my father wished me to have it when he died."

"I see..."

Their conversation was cut short as someone in the room yelled. They turned to see the fairy having grown to large proportions and looking more like a tree. The edges of her hands were now jagged sharpened wood.

"There, now that I've gotten your attention..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They walked for what seemed like days in the desert, and Dray was tiring as Talis seemed just as rested as when they'd left. The Bard would sing at night when they sat around a fire, and despite herself Dray was enchanted by the tales he told, of ancient heroes and horrible villains.

There was one story in particular that she loved, even if she had heard it many times before told by the Drow Storytellers. Of the Elf Prince Cilmilar, who had been perhaps the greatest warrior that the Elves had ever known. He had loved many women in his time, from the one named Deliriel, a Star, to Elassa, the dryad Queen. The story of Deliriel was beautiful and tragic, but Talis did not tell it that night. Instead he told of Elassa, who it was said carried the power of all the forest within her. She could call forth great vengeance should any cross her or one of the forest. Cilmilar had been fighting with Dragons at the time and one of the dragons, in retaliation for losing his treasure, burned part of Elassa's forest to the ground. Cilmilar killed the dragon, and unknowingly took Elassa's right of vengeance from her, so much so that her people began to murmur against her. She grew angry and the forests began growing into the Elven Kingdom. It's marble halls and pearl citadels began to fall, and Cilmilar knew there was only one way to take care of it. He would have to calm the heart of the forest's queen. So he rode through the night, his steed magically compelled to continue despite the attack of the forest on all sides. They did not kill the elven prince though, for the Queen was intrigued by his bravery. She knew of Cilmilar and his acts of heroism, she also knew that he was the heart of his kingdom, much like she was of hers. He drew near her wooden home and she came to meet him, in the shroud of the moon in a field full of daisies.

"Why have you come here?" She asked.

"I have come to win the heart of the Queen of the Forest."

The answer to her aback for she had thought he came to appease her, to offer her recompense for his stealing of her right.

"I do not understand."

"We both know that our kingdoms are strong, and that if ever there was war between us it would not only be these two kingdoms that would suffer, but the whole world. I have thought long and hard as I rode of what to say to bring peace, but I could think of nought. I cannot bring back the dread beast I killed, for necromancy is an evil dire, nor can I let one such as yourself destroy my kingdom in recompense, but I know what would bring our kingdom's together, and also rise a new hope that will last long after we're gone."

She listened.

"I propose a marriage, of both the states and the two beings standing in this field right now. With this bond, there will never be a time again that rights are stolen, for we would always be in knowledge of the other's needs and desires. I have long loved the forest, and I would wish to know how to serve it best. What better way to know than love."

It made strange sense to her, and he was certainly not ugly to look upon. She could feel the forest waiting, watching, wondering what she would choose.

"It is said the Elves came from the stars," She said. "And I have often looked up into the night sky wondering what lay in it's deep black heart. And of you, Cilmilar, I have heard many a thing. But of all I have heard, it pales in comparison to what you have done tonight, for you faced my wrath, and my rejection in order to propose a deal that will bring peace, and not war. You have even faced the loss of your own freedom to speak of this bond. I cannot say that I am not intrigued, for long have I thought of a binding between Forest and Elf being a good thing."

The forest seemed to sigh in relief, and she realized that it had been her, and her own anger driving it, and not the Forest itself. She had let her own emotions get in the way of leading her kingdom. A war with the Elves would have been the worst thing she could have ever done.

"I will take your offer," She answered. And in that night, the elf and the forest became one, and of their union were born the Drow, who became a kingdom unto themselves, always drawn to the wandering stars, and always rooted in home to the Forests.

Dray smiled as the tale ended, and could feel sleep drawing her in. She slept, and the stars above watched over her.

Days had passed since that tale was told that night, and she wished she could feel the same peace, but out here in the desert she was only at peace when the stars shone. At day it was made plainly obvious how far from home she was. And the heat itself was unbearable.

Talis drew to a stop up ahead, and she came alongside him.

At the bottom of the dune was an object, nay, a being. It was oddly humpbacked and covered in rags, and it swayed back and forth as it trudged along. It was heading north, and seemed oblivious to their presence.

"What is it?" She asked.

"I do not know, but I would not make it aware of us. It is said that other than the Tsai the only other being in these deserts are The Djinn."

Demons, tricksters, evil.

They moved further south, and took the route down the dune. They could not even see the Djinn anymore and so continued west.

But it could see them, it had known they were there all along.

Back to top Go down
Invisible

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Ryn smiled at the dryad. "Peace, Lady," he said. "Lord Taggart will be with you soon enough."

Sure enough, Taggart soon came back out and beckoned the dryad to follow. She gave him an inscrutable look as she left, though. A look full of magic and warning.

Ryn handed the dagger back to Valadan. "It is a great gift," he said. "I know little of such things," he hoped no one figured out that was a lie, "but even I can see its worth. Keep it well and use it wisely, as I know you will."

He remembered the Kraken Wars, a bloody conflict that had taken some of his dearest friends...if one like him could have friends. Dayne had been one of them. He wondered at the coincidence of meeting his son now, but let it go.

"What is it you think we face?" he asked the two men. "Something magic, or something mundane? Either way, we will do our duty for Moryn and the future King, will we not?" He held their eyes, waiting for an answer, and saw there the same strength and sense of duty he had in his own heart.

"I will leave you two now," he said. "I want to walk around. There could be more intruders, ones not here to see Lord Taggart." He smiled at them before he left.
Back to top Go down
Justin
Ard Righ

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:13 am

As he slept he dreamed. It was dark where he stood, a place of black and feathers. The wings of an angel dead, or asleep like him. He could see a little around him, and on three sides of him were mirrors, each giving a different reflection. In one stood a star, a man who had no face. In the other, an angel, a warrior race created by the Elves to fight their wars, in another a being with red hair, who smiled coldly at him as if he knew all his secrets. He knew if he turned around he'd see the angel lying on a slab, and the red haired man standing over the angel, staring in hatred.

It was always the same dream. And yet he could never understand it.

A cold breeze woke him, and he opened his eyes. The bright sun burned down hot on him, and his fingernails felt gritty with sand and dirt beneath them. They were in need of a trim. It didn't take him long to recognize that their little camp was surrounded by the strange humpback in rags creatures he assumed were Djinn. They stood in a circle, swaying back and forth, their faces staring at him. The faces looked like something carved out of stone, with coal black pupil-less eyes. A shimmer of mirage among the Djinn and a woman appeared. A Tsai woman, wearing a purple robe with a black sash. Her head was hooded, but he knew she was bald, like all Tsai were. Her striking blue eyes looked down at him with a half smirk.

He knew what she was, a witch, one of the last of her kind. The Sisters of Fate.

"Welcome Talis The Bard, and Dray the Drow Princess," He only noticed just then that Dray was awake, and looked like she had been for some time. But like him, she had been unable to speak or move, held in the Djinn web of enchantment.

"My name is Oondra, but I am of the mind that you already know this Talis, for it seems against all odds that you have been seeking me, when usually it is I that waylay travelers ignorantly traversing my land."

He nodded.

"Interesting," for a moment she stared at him, particularly his eyes, and said "Interesting." again.

"Very well then, follow me," She walked away, and almost unwillingly Talis rose, his pack and other things rising off the ground and floating beside him. The same happened to Dray, who had slept in her clothes.

They walked for hours til they reached a mound of sand, and on the other side was a door, through the door they entered a long hall, where stood many more Djinn, and a throne, which the woman now sat down on.

"So, tell me, why have you come to see me?"

Talis decided not to waste time with flowery speech, for the power of this witch scared him, and he wasn't easily scared.

"We have come on the behalf of Moryn, it's king has fallen. And we seek the Black Ship, for I have seen in a vision that we will need it to save the kingdom somehow."

Oondra sat for a moment, contemplating.

"Why do you think I would know about this "Black Ship" and even if I did why would I tell you where it is?"

"Because my lady, according to legend the Sisters of Fate used to ride the winds of Time on a Black Ship, and the crew of the vessel was well known to be Djinn. So, is it true?"

Oondra smiled. "You know your lore well, Bard. It is true, I once rode the Winds of Time with my sisters. But it has been long, eons at least, since that time. I have not seen that ship since, well, since The Black Dragon stole it from us."

"Then you believe that the Ship is in some Dragon treasure hord somewhere?"

"I do not believe anything, either it is or it isn't."

"Then I guess that is where we will begin our search."

She raised her eyebrow, amused.

"Wait, you think you can have this information for free?"

"No," Talis said with a smile. "That is why I have brought you this Drow Princess. She is my payment."

Dray gasped, "But...the fire...I saw myself in your vision."

Talis ignored her.

Oondra looked at the Drow, and laughed coldly.

"Well done, Bard, the stories of your manipulations and trickery do not do you justice. Well done indeed. I accept your payment. You may leave, and good luck in your search."

Talis turned to leave and Dray ran to him, but the Djinn moved forward. She grabbed his sleeve but he pushed her roughly away.

"You saw my vision true princess, so I have no fear you will find your way somehow. But for now we must part ways," He whispered harshly before the Djinn grabbed her and pulled her back from him.

They pulled her away, down a dark hallway and down some stairs into a cold room of cells, throwing her into one of them. There was a man there, he had a few month's worth of beard and yellowing teeth, but she could tell he had been handsome at one time. A Tsai man.

"You sure are far from home, Drow girl," He said, and then started giggling maniacly.

Back to top Go down
Invisible

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Ryn walked around the castle, wary. What better time and place to attack, and bottle up all the kingdom's greatest warriors? Or destroy them, if possible? Still, there were no signs of impending doom. Either he, or the Appyre, would have seen them.

He wandered down to the open gate again. It was guarded by thirty men, all in plate and mail, looking like hardened veterans themselves. They nodded back to him as he drew near, but kept a watch on the traffic coming in and out.

"All is well here, Lord," their captain said. "We have kept a sharp lookout, and have seen no-" He gurgled and went down, an arrow in his throat. Immediately Ryn looked around. One of the bowmen on the wall was drawing a bead on him, and others were taking position. Through the open gate he could see dark shapes creeping- the jinn.

"We are betrayed!" he cried. "To me! To me! Fight for your lives!" The people looked back and saw the shades hurrying after them, now that they had been discovered. They hurried faster, and soon the last merchant was inside. Ryn hurried to lock the gate as arrows fell around him. One took him in the leg, but he did not stop. If he could not close the gate, it would not matter if he was hurt, for he would be dead.

"To me!" he cried again. "The castle stands!" That had been the rallying cry in the Kraken Wars, when the enemy had nearly breached the walls. "To me!" Then there was no more time for talk.
Back to top Go down
Tyjaham

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:06 am

No one had wanted his autograph and that made Youta rather sad. However, rather than doing what normally made him happy, Youta decided to go for a walk outside the city gates. The forest came quite close to the walls, closer than one might expect. In fact, the forest encroached so closely on the walls that it wasn’t until they were upon him that Youta saw the dark figures surround him.

“So,” Youta said with a pause, “You’re here to fight me? You wish to test yourself against fire of the Star of the Day Sky?!”

He whipped the long black blade silently from its sheath. The creatures surrounding him made no sign that they understood his words; they only bobbed back and forth in the night darkness making no other sound other than perhaps a faint murmuring. The dark creatures weaving seemed to flow together, a sort of arcane beat shared between the demons. Without warning and on beat, a shadowy figure lunged forward. Youta slammed the back of his armored left palm into what he assumed was the creatures face, spinning to slash across its back. A second leaped forth with talons bared, talons designed for the tearing of flesh from bone. They would have no such chance this night.

Youta stabbed the dark steel into a pouch on his side and guided the sand that fell into the eyes of swirling flame rushing towards him. As the creature reached in desperate, albeit futile, effort to pull the sand from his eyes, Youta steered the beast over his knee and stabbed his blade into the dark creature’s back. Thrusting his hands into the folds of his shawl, he pulled out a diamond shaped dagger with a loop and chord on one end; he hurled it in between the eyes of a third. He pulled another and blocked the swipe from one of the remaining Djinn. He shoved his fist into its eye and cut it from stomach to throat with the kunai in his right hand. He left the blade in its larynx. The final Djinn stood, they obviously only know how to hunt in packs… Youta swing with a right hook, followed up with a waist level kick from the left, and to finish broke the dark one’s sternum with a kick to the center of the chest. Just to make sure he broke the creature’s neck. In total the fight lasted only a matter of seconds. In fact, it took longer to pick up his blades than it did to use them. They would not be resting for long. Youta cleaned the dark tar blood from his long dark blade. The blood had pooled in the single channel on the back of the blade, I suppose that what it was for, why else would he be called the Blood Blade.

Youta sprinted towards the great gate. The forces were fighting outside the city now, shining suits and dark shadows clashed in the torchlight. Youta jumped into the trees, leaping from branch to branch. He stopped when he had a decent vantage point to the battle. He pulled out a small pipe, about a foot long; he then pulled a small dart from a wristband concealed under his sleeve. The two fit together perfectly. He pulled the end of the pipe up to his lips and pointed the end of this pipe at one of the creatures and blew through the tube. The creature wheezed out a cry and grabbed at its neck, as the long steel dart stuck from its neck like an antennae. The poison on the dart spread quickly through the creature as it gurgled and died, slowly.

“Success,” Youta, said with a smile, he continued this process for some time, until he ran out of darts.

“Perhaps now they will want my autograph…” He said to the darkness before him as he pulled his blade from its sheath.

“Blend into the shadows... hold your breath... And wait for your target to let down his guard.” The first law.

“Tune in to your target; know his thoughts and actions.” The second law.

“Strike your target before he is aware of your existence.” The third law.

After reciting the Way of Assassination, Youta sprang into the fray. His blade would taste more blood this night. He could only hope the blood would stay damp until Sol saw the face of the earth again.

Last edited by Tyjaham on Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Formating failures)
Back to top Go down
Justin
Ard Righ

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:14 am

Valadan heard the cries of battle and followed Owen outside towards the main gates of the City. Like all cities there were several gates, but the battle was being held at the first wall, where as he ascended the steps he could see that over it, and through the gate itself several dark creatures were massing. He'd never seen anything like them before, but beside him Owen growled one word. "Djinn."

These were the demons of the desert.

Though they shuffled humpbacked into the fray they were incredibly fast, and agile, and used short little scimitars and tiny bows and arrows. He could see the Appyre Youta, and Lord Ryn holding back a whole contingent of them singlehandedly. Their fighting styles were different, for while the younger one used the quick and agile steps of an assassin, preferring stealth to force the older man was like an oak. He stood in one place, and none could pass him.

He was also whispering words of magic, calling on his wizardry.

There were many of them, these Djinn.

Owen looked at him, smiling grimly.

"Do as you were trained knight. I'll see you on the other end of the battle," then he leapt right off the wall, falling almost two stories right into a large huddle of demons, their mass cushioning his fall. He was up and moving before they even knew what hit them, a rune covered sword in his hands made of dragon bone. He moved with the swiftness of the Appyre, but fought stalwart, his lack of fear evident and strong because of his many times facing down dragons.

Beside Valadan he heard a hiss, and turned to see a creature unlike the Djinn below. He was reptilian in features, and sported a long tail, but his eyes were disturbingly human. He held out his hand speaking words of magic and suddenly Valadan felt himself stuck in a vise, unable to move. The creature laughed, almost giggled, in delight, and Val' could feel something...something being sucked out of his mouth, blackness sat at the edge of his vision, growing and growing, little tiny spots of light blistering the void, twisting and dancing in and out of vision. The creature squeezed tighter and Valadan's head exploded in pain.

Suddenly a branch struck the creature, knocking it off it's feet and it fell off the wall, screaming as it landed on ground, crushing it's lungs immediately. The giant tree like thing standing before Valadan looked vaguely familiar, and it took him a moment to realize it was the Dryad. She shrunk, becoming her human form as she stood to survey the battle below. The warriors were holding the Djinn back but Valadan could see several more of the reptilian creatures now, and their magical powers were strong.

"Mwellrets, they must have slithered out of their jungles across the Great Desert. I wonder what could have driven them from that place, and to join forces with Djinn of all creatures. Someone or something is using powers of which we have never seen little knight."

He stared at her for a moment, marveling at how beautiful she was, but almost feral, definitely dangerous, and then she jumped off the wall herself, becoming a giant tree again, smashing her roots right into the creatures.

He marveled, these were all great warriors, and yet here he was still standing, not fighting, he had to do something. He didn't leap off the wall, not that brave yet, but he did run back down the steps and to the gate where the creatures had formed a wall, pushing forward. Ryn was there holding them back, but the men with him were beginning to tire.

"Welcome Dayne's son." Ryn said.

Valadan only smiled a little, then pulled forth his sword, and ran into the mass.

At first he didn't fight so well, and had several close calls, but as the battle went on he felt renewed strength, especially as he killed more, and as the sun began to die in the sky, the moon high overhead he almost felt like he had never started fighting yet. The creatures were beginning to be pushed back and soon the gate was theirs again. He could see the Dryad and Owen, Youta and Ryn, and even Taggart fighting strong, then as they pushed the last creature from the hole the gate slammed shut, and the city was theirs again.

Beside him Taggart appeared, and they looked at the wall, knowing what was on the other side. The capital city was besieged.

Back to top Go down
Invisible

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:13 am

Ryn leaned against the gate heavily. He felt every day of his age, and his leg, where he had taken the arrow, throbbed. Taggart looked at him with concern. He looked back at the young regent grimly. There was no time for his wounds.

"We had a traitor," he said. "The bowmen on the walls shot at the guards on the gate. I do not know who it was- many of these faces are new to me, Lord Taggart. I suggest you start a search. He is dead, but there may be more of him within these walls, and if we suffer another battle like this." He looked at himself, coated in green djinn blood, and shivered.

"Never again," he whispered. "Never again can we let this happen, here where the King lies dead."
Back to top Go down
Tyjaham

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:51 am

No one wished for his autograph, but he gave it to one wounded soldier anyways. Signed it right across his helmet. The "O" in Youta was given in the appearance of Sol.

The taste of blood was still in the air and Youta could taste it indeed. As the peace that flowed over him in combat stilled, the rush of adrenaline from the mere bloodshed made his pulse race. The world before him made an attempt at turning sideways in his ecstasy. His lips grew wet with his salivation and opened enough to see his diminutive fangs gleam in the moon light. Youta closed his eyes and cracked his neck, he sighed and filled his lungs deeply. His breath had quickened. He shivered from head to toe. Perhaps the blood was still warm. He bent down and dipped his fingers in a coagulating green pool. It was still warm, perhaps if he tasted it, its warmth could be his. He smiled from ear to ear and brought his bloodied fingers towards his lips. No, what was he doing? The sun was his heat. Sol was the life blood that ran through his veins. He sneered and wiped his fingers clean on his garments. Disgusting. He had to get away from this sanguineous place. And he did just that, after gathering the tools of his trade from the corpses around him.

He melded into the shadows near the gate, being in his nature to drop eaves, he did.

"I suggest you start a search," The rugged Lord said. Youta liked the sound of a search. He waited for their conversation to pause and emerged from the shadows.

"If you need information on the soldiers, look no further then me," He proclaimed pointing at himself with his thumb.

"Oh? Do you know something we don't, young appyre?" the lord, Ryn, asked.

"Not yet I don't. But, if you wish, I would gladly find out what I could. I'll even do it for free. That's the kind of man I am."

"And you think you are up to the task? No offense is meant, but is not your skill in killing?"

"You're talking to the Star of the Day Sky! I'm good at everything. I'll let you know what I find when I find it." He winked and bounced off to find a place to sleep for the night and dream of the trill of the perfect target.
Back to top Go down
Invisible

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:13 am

Ryn blinked at the Appyre as he left. He knew of the hidden race and how skilled they were. "May the Powers guide you," he murmured as he turned to Taggart.

"I am as good in a siege as I am in open warfare," he said. "Tell me, are we provided for one?"

"We are," Taggart said. "It is true that all is in chaos because of the King's death, but he was a wise ruler, who kept this city secure. As long as all within it remain faithful, we will remain so." He was grim, knowing of the betrayal of one of his soldiers. "Now, let us go and plan for this siege, you and I. The magical folk can protect our walls as well as we can."

Ryn frowned. "The magical folk should be part of our planning," he said. "At least the dryad and the Drow. They know of the secret things of the world."
Back to top Go down
Justin
Ard Righ

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:12 am

Oondra's dungeons were the cliche cold and dank. Dray found herself bored pretty quick, despite the strong desire to escape she could not see any way to do so, and her Tsai cellmate was oddly quiet. He was staring at some undetermined place in space, the glimmer in his eyes appearing to strangely burn like some distant fire.

A ball of light formed exactly in the spot his eyes were staring.

It began to float around, revealing in the stark glare drawings on the walls. They were symbols, runes, things of power. She shivered, wondering just what kind of being this man was. She had never heard of a Tsai magicker.

He smiled. And then laughed. The light did not wink out and suddenly the room glowed itself, each drawn line on the walls standing out in a strong blue light.

"I was beginning to wonder if it would ever work. Perhaps you are my muse."

"What, what are you doing?" She asked.

He didn't answer, almost as if he hadn't heard her. He put one hand forth and the lighted up lines began to trickle light like strands of string towards his hands, and then through his body til they formed an oval shaped form of light in front of him. He stood and the oval of light grew bigger. She could tell it was paining him to do this, and yet he continued on. The oval began to flicker.

"Hurry, before it closes."

Dray heard a sound outside the cell, approaching footsteps, the witch had felt the magic being used in her dungeons, she was coming to kill them.

"Move! Now!" The old man, handsome even in his advanced age whispered harshly and she moved towards the light, through it, and to...somewhere else.

This new place was not like anything she'd ever seen.

Behind her the old man followed her, the last piece of him to pass through the light being his hand. The oval has lessened to such a size that as he pulled his forearm through his hand was too big to pass through the light itself, and it was cut off at the wrist. He cried out in pain, but she could tell he'd expected this.

"The Dark Ways always ask for a price." He said through gasping lips.

All around them was shadow, but the path before them was a strangely fog covered road, and the void on both sides seemed solid, like a wall, but was not substantial.

"It has been a long time since someone used these paths. Only the Tsai remember them, but we don't use the magick to make them anymore. Not til me anyways." A staff appeared in his hand, and on it's top tip was a ball, a gem which looked cloudy inside of it, but there was glimpses of faces in it's depth.

"My name is Vorin Night, I am sorry I had to scare you that way, but I've had to act insane so as not to alert the guards to my plan for a pretty long time now," He held up the staff.

"The Kingdom of Tsai, those beings that attacked your castle, and your king, they came for us too, I was called upon to bottle all the souls of Tsai into this one stone. It is a Travel Stone, the last one of it's kind."

She nodded, overwhelmed by it all.

"I was my country's king, once, and may be again."

He began to walk, forward into the fog, and she followed despite herself.

"Where does this go?" She asked.

"I'm not sure, I conjured no destination for that would have taken years, I only made a Gate."

"But that means...there's no way out," She suddenly felt very small

"Oh, there's ways out, but you won't like them, they're rarely a good place."

He continued walking and she followed still. He was speaking words in a strange tongue and she let him be. He reminded her a bit of Talis, only kinder. She thought of Talis, and how much she wanted to beat him for his treachery. According to him she was still due to go on his quest with him, but she very much doubted she would ever do that. Still, there was the small matter of what she'd seen in the fire.

"Aha." Vorin said, and turned towards the void. He passed into it and disappeared and for a moment she panicked til his head popped out of the black, smiling at her.

"Well, don't be scared, just follow." The he popped back into the black again and she followed him. They walked in pitch black for a moment, and she wondered how he knew where he was going. His hand took hers, and led her forward, til suddenly she could see some small light. They edged closer and walked out of the void into a starry night.

All around them were dead bodies. Mostly Djinn, some humans, and there were fires to the west of them, creatures swaying back and forth in the flames. More Djinn, and there were other things too.

"A bloody battle happened here." He led her away from the fires and towards a huge citadel, which turned out to be an outer wall to a whole city.

"Capitol, this is your kingdom's heart young Drow." He said kindly, and she looked with wonder at the sprawling gates and high walls. As they passed through the night gloom a man's voice hailed them as they approached the gates.

"Stand back intruders, there is no place for you here, we are beseiged, be ye friend or foe you will not find rest here."

The old Tsai smiled grimly.

"I am Vorin Night, king of the Nation of Tsai to the West, I come with a great army, here to offer our help to our nrother nation of Moryn, for we too have faced the wiles of the Enemy who now sieges you."

The guards at the gate conversed among themselves and a woman approached them, she was tanned like a Drow, but there were twigs in her hair, more like branches actually sticking out of her head. Dray recognized her for what she was at once. A dryad!

She looked them over, seeming to have some vague familiarity with Dray, and looked at Vorin coldly.

"The Desert People have come to help eh?" She nodded finally and grew in size, suddenly grabbing them both in her massive branches shaped like arms and hands, she deposited them on the walkway at the top of the wall, then disappeared.

A guard approached them.

"You said you had an army, but I don't see anyone else."

Vorin smiled softly. "That is a matter for me and The Lord Regent, perhaps you would be so kind as to take us to him?"

They followed the guard down the steps, and into the city, passing through four walls til they came to the main sanctum, and the Great Hall as it was called. Inside they passed through several torchlit passageways, and soon Dray was just about lost when they came to a double set of oak doors. These opened into a large room, covered in drapings from balconies and banners of the different Lords of the land. She saw one in which a black raven winged into the sky bearing a sword in it's beak. A man wearing the same sigil on his cloth was standing with a few others, including The Lord Regent, at a table, overlooking a map of the city. An older man was speaking when the guard announced them.

The men turned and she noticed another one of them who had had his back to her and drew her breath in with surprise.

"Dray?" Owen said in surprise and gladness.

"Brother!" She moved forward then, taking him in a embrace and not even noticing the others looking at them strangely.

"What are you doing here?!" He asked, and they withdrew to a corner while Vorin spoke to the other men, including the young knight who'd she'd noticed at first. He was watching her, and there was something about the way he looked at her that made her feel strangely both very uncomfortable, and very flattered.

Back to top Go down
Tyjaham

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:23 am

After an indeterminable amount of time had passed, Youta had found the traitor, or at least he was pretty sure he had. He had the man cornered. He stared the man further into the corner with a piercing glance from under a forest of black locks, his green eyes shining in the dawn light. He barred his small fangs; the sun caught the pearly white in a bizarre contrast to the pale, almost greenish, corpselike skin the thin figure possessed.

“Do you have any contacts outside of the city?” Haruki asked with a hum. The man couldn’t answer, he was scared senseless.

“I despise blood, but I might make an exception for you if you don’t start speaking soon,” he licked his lips. Youta inhaled deeply through his nose, taking a record of the things he could smell. The most pertinent and new smell was that of urine, not uncommon in the streets, but this was quite fresh… The man had wet himself. This made Youta frown; it was not his intention to make the man he was interrogating lose control of his body in such a manner.

“That’s gross… You should…” Youta let out a groan, “You didn’t do it did you?” The man shook his head. Youta cursed under his breath. He whipped the long slender blade from its sheath in the blink of an eye. He let the momentum flip the blade into a forward position. The man whimpered like a dog. Youta was not an evil man, he couldn’t kill him. He pointed the blade at the man and moved his arm slowly out the alley.
“Get out of here before I break your face.” The man did just that.

Youta climbed the wall and mounted one of the palisades. He imagined in his current position he looked much like his foul blooded brethren. This would simply not do. He pulled the thumb sized black locks back and tied them with a piece of dark leather cord. How odd that a redeemed type such as himself would dress in black, people could get the wrong idea. He spotted a young boy glance several directions and pocket an apple from a vendor’s stall. The up and comings always made Youta smile, however if this one were to take the path of the demon, he would have to be killed. Youta sighed and pulled out a handful of sand from a small pouch hanging from his belt. He played with it in his palm for a moment and dropped it over the wall, taking careful observation of how the wind took it. As a warm morning breeze blew the sand through the air, Youta vanished.

Suspect number two was sitting in a rocking chair, smoking a long pipe. The thin wisps of warm, spiced smoke rose gently from underneath the fiend’s wide brimmed hat. This was the only other person who could have told the enemy. He was an outsider, a rider by the looks of him, his leathery skin a testament to his life in sunnier climes. The wear on his coat was consistent with that of the sandstorm and he wore a cloth around his neck, very similar to the one Youta wore to keep out sand yet still allow for breathing. He ducked low to the ground and looped a thin rope around the man’s ankles effectively tying him to the chair. Giving enough slack on the rope to provide for this, he swung a loop of the cord around the man’s torso and pulled it tight. The man, startled, began to question Youta very angrily saying many things that no being should say to another. Youta bashed the man in the face and pulled the chair to the nearest guard, commanding that the suspect be taken to questioning.

Youta found himself sitting atop a building, most likely a tavern. The tiled roofing was not as comfortable as a thatched one might be, however it did provide less fear of falling inside. He sipped a dark liquid from a steaming cup. He blinked and then wrinkled his face. It hurt but tasted so good. He took another drink. Something, or rather, someone caught his eye on the street below. It was the forest woman. She was so foreign, as much as this city seemed strange to Youta, she was ten times over a stranger. She walked strange, talked strange, looked strange, behaved strange… But all of it was oddly attractive, captivating even.

“Hey, you!” Youta shouted at her, “What are you even?” He tossed back the scalding liquid and dropped down to the ground below. She stared at him quizzically.

“I am called a Dryad,” she paused, “and you are one to talk aren’t you?” She smirked and waited for his response.

“I am the Blood Blade Youta Haruki, Star of the Day Sky! But you didn’t answer my question… What are you?”
Back to top Go down
Adira

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:33 am

"What are you?" asked the fanged rogue.

Dassa sighed. So many living creatures had forgotten the ancient races; so many did not respect the Earth.

“I did answer you. I am a dryad; an inhabitant of the ancient forest that has bordered this land before man inhabited these parts. I have watched ages of men come and fade, I have allowed bird, gryphon, and animal alike make home in my branches during the years that I sleep. And when I have grown old, and weary of the days of men, I will fade as a dryad, and forever be in the shape of a tree, my spirit resting and content to simply blossom and shed with the earth’s cycle. Do you comprehend this?”

“So…you’re a tree?” replied Youta with a furrowed brow. Dassa sighed deeply, but the Appyre continued before she could explain further. “I think I understand, but it isn’t everyday one such as I meets a being that’s nature is more confusing than my own.”

“Yes, a vampirical man who walks in the day. Your breed is new, comparatively,” replied the dryad. “Many of my own kind grew weary quickly with the ways of man, and have faded. Many more have lost their spirit’s resting place, and their souls will forever drift.” Dassa’s eyes swelled with tears, but she held back the emotion. “You are the one who was employed to seek out the traitor, yes? Tell me, what news do you have?”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For Moryn and The Lost King   

Back to top Go down

For Moryn and The Lost King
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forum :: RPG/Games :: RPG (The Stories)-
Jump to: