Welcome.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

A Massive Oil LEAK!

Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Thu May 27, 2010 3:04 am

So I don't know if you guys have been paying any attention to the massive oil leak that is releasing over 5,000 (estimated) barrels of oil a day in the gulf of Mexico. But it's crazy. I'm trying to imagine how much oil that is but it's hard to fathom.

So it's been leaking that much for almost 40 days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_and_canada/10167666.stm here's a story of the latest attempt to stop it. who knows if it will work.
Back to top Go down
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Thu May 27, 2010 5:46 am

I heard about that a few days ago. It's really awful; I hope that events like this increase our motivation to search for alternative forms of energy. I mean, who cares if global warming is true or not; using nonrenewable resources that harm our environment isn't good stewardship of the earth God entrusted us to take care of.
Back to top Go down
Banana

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Thu May 27, 2010 12:52 pm

I heard that a couple days after the leak started President Obama lost his temper and was like JUST PLUG THE LEAK!

No duh sir. No duh.

But apparently there was a plan for preventing/containing such an event, but the agencies required to implement it fudged up.
Back to top Go down
living sacrifice

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Thu May 27, 2010 5:51 pm

I saw this on the news a couple days ago and couldn't believe its still going on. Seems like a lot of people are frustrated, but they spend a lot of time bickering over how to prioritize.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Fri May 28, 2010 12:25 am

Yeah lol, Obama was like, "JUST PLUG THE DAMN LEAK!"

But the internal pressure of the oil, and the water pressure on the seafloor are so powerful, its not that easy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Fri May 28, 2010 12:30 am

The latest news was that it still hasn't been stopped and its leaking 12-19,000 barrels a day. Thats a lot...
Back to top Go down
Winceline

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Fri May 28, 2010 12:41 am

My sister works as a timekeeper for disaster relief crews. So I get news about stuff happening before most people know about it.

She said today that: They're clueless as to the best way to stop it. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Zoe

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Fri May 28, 2010 6:02 am

I heard on the radio this morning though that the efforts they've been making seem to be working (or at least helping); it's just one of those things that is not possible to stop immediately. But it is the biggest oil spill in American history now, apparently.
Back to top Go down
Banana

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Fri May 28, 2010 12:42 pm

living sacrifice wrote:
I saw this on the news a couple days ago and couldn't believe its still going on. Seems like a lot of people are frustrated, but they spend a lot of time bickering over how to prioritize.

No kidding. If I'm not mistaken, some of the events on 9/11 could have been prevented, but there was some rule that prevented the FBI and CIA from sharing information. That rule. again trying to remember this from a long time ago, was left over from some scandal between the two agencies and so they had certain restrictions on sharing information.

But yeah. If there possible is a way to trip over yourself, the US government will do it. Usually in an emergency.
Back to top Go down
Sara

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Mon May 31, 2010 2:11 am

Aaaand it's still leaking. I think they should fine BP -majorly- for letting this happen.
Back to top Go down
Nikolai

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Mon May 31, 2010 2:14 am

For letting it happen? Nah. For covering it up and downplaying it at first maybe, but the Coast Guard did that too. What it boils down to is that sometimes...shit happens.

Maybe now we'll get a water-powered engine.

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Mon May 31, 2010 2:17 am

It's not like BP cares...its not harming their fishing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Mon May 31, 2010 3:12 pm

Latest news now is that they probably wont get it fixed till August. pirat
Back to top Go down
Nikolai

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Mon May 31, 2010 3:29 pm

And strangely enough, the price of gas keeps going down. I wonder if it's their way of appeasing the general public's subconscious.

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Mon May 31, 2010 4:28 pm

crow wrote:

AUGUST?! Good grief!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Mon May 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Sara wrote:
crow wrote:

AUGUST?! Good grief!

Yup, i know. My as well say goodbye to every non-mutated from of sea life in the gulf.

"...signs point to August before any real end is in sight. The new plan carries the risk of making the torrent worse, top government officials have warned. On top of that, hurricane season begins Tuesday."
-The Associated Press
Back to top Go down
Nikolai

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Mon May 31, 2010 7:35 pm

Y'know, in Revelations, it mentions that 1/3 of all sea life will be killed off...

Just sayin'...

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Mon May 31, 2010 9:58 pm

That's the last thing we want to happen... Like, I don't watch movies like 2012, or any other "end of the world" movies they just creep me out.
Back to top Go down
Adira

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Mon May 31, 2010 11:08 pm

Sara wrote:
Aaaand it's still leaking. I think they should fine BP -majorly- for letting this happen.

Interesting enough, regardless of the oil company, those rigs leak a certain amount naturally. That's right. When that sucker was working how it should be, it was still leaking a certain amount into the ocean. Mexico has this problem every time a bad hurricane comes in that their beaches get oil all over them.

I've heard my fair share about this crisis. One, for being so close to Florida, and two, for being related to one of the head guys for an environmentalist organization located in Tallahassee, FL. My brother in law has been researching and testing out ways to remove the oil from the water naturally (hair boons, hay, etc.) and how to rescue the animal life in the process.

Right now, they're working on a class action law suit against BP:
http://www.sosfla.org/2010/05/sos-to-assist-with-bp-class-action.html
Back to top Go down
Sara

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:06 am

Yes, a certain amount...but not -this- much.
Back to top Go down
Adira

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:24 am

Sara wrote:
Yes, a certain amount...but not -this- much.

well this wasn't a natural emission just from how it was built. This is the fact that something went wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Massive Oil LEAK!   

Back to top Go down

A Massive Oil LEAK!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forum :: Discussion :: Current Events-
Jump to: