Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread

Go down 
+29
siren
SlaveofElyon
TirlalaithFantasyComedian
Willow_Rain
Megz
Adira
Riley
Reddie (vinc)
Tyjaham
Leanna
living sacrifice
Banana
Darth Twinkie
Nicky
Jami_Sue
addict
Zoe
Winceline
Hunter
Invisible
WhiteRook
chandor
Scott Becker
Refined
Meisje
Justin
Sara
Krystal
Nikolai
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 36 ... 44  Next
AuthorMessage
Scott Becker

Scott Becker

Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 5:47 pm

I even learned some Greek today, keeping with the theme:

"Hristos Anesti!" Cool
Back to top Go down
Reddie (vinc)

Reddie (vinc)

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 8:34 pm

Violence sometimes is the answer. After a long night at work with a bunch of picky whiney customers and lazy coworkers, a couple of mw2 games can be sooooo refreshing. Just kill the poor ppl who wander into ur scope Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Invisible

Invisible

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 9:02 pm

You must work in fast food too, Vin. Smile

I just read and forget, rather than kill.
Back to top Go down
Nikolai
Nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 9:24 pm

Scott Becker wrote:

"Hristos Anesti!" Cool

o.O in keeping with what theme?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Scott, that karma isn't looking so good...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 11:33 pm

Hey, Nik, if you get the chance, pick of one of F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack books. You might like them; I'm curious as what your opinion of them would be.
It suddenly came to me, for no reason, so I thought I'd throw that out there...
Shocked
Back to top Go down
Nikolai
Nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 3:14 am

Alberi wrote:
Hey, Nik, if you get the chance, pick of one of F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack books. You might like them; I'm curious as what your opinion of them would be.
It suddenly came to me, for no reason, so I thought I'd throw that out there...
Shocked

I shall put that in my iPod's list of books to look for. Now that I'm done Angels & Demons, I've kinda gotten back into reading and such, and need new material.
Back to top Go down
Scott Becker

Scott Becker

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 10:38 am

Nikolai wrote:
Scott Becker wrote:

"Hristos Anesti!" Cool

o.O in keeping with what theme?

Easter!! It means "He is risen"!!!
Back to top Go down
Nikolai
Nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 2:56 pm

Scott Becker wrote:
Easter!! It means "He is risen"!!!

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to learn it in Hebrew?
Back to top Go down
Scott Becker

Scott Becker

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Considering our NT was written in Greek, I don't know why. Shocked

Also, I don't have any Facebook friends of Hebrew descent. I do have some Greek-American friends there though. Wink
Back to top Go down
Reddie (vinc)

Reddie (vinc)

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Yes I do work in fast food, but I will be quitting shortly. I'm moving to Kansas ^_^ for a yr.
Back to top Go down
Riley

Riley

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Bang.
Back to top Go down
Nikolai
Nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 6:38 pm

Scott Becker wrote:

A common misconception. It would've been largely Aramaic, with a good portion being Hebrew as well. It was then translated into Greek, and then further into Latin and then English.
Back to top Go down
Nikolai
Nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Reddie (vinc) wrote:
Yes I do work in fast food, but I will be quitting shortly. I'm moving to Kansas ^_^ for a yr.

o.O whyfor?
Back to top Go down
Banana

Banana

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Uh... why is it 90 degrees outside? That's just WRONG. Like stealing candy from kids. WRONG.

Not that I mind... I would totally be lying out on the grass basking if I wasn't doing homework and writing this post.
Back to top Go down
Riley

Riley

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:24 pm

Nikolai wrote:
Scott Becker wrote:

A common misconception. It would've been largely Aramaic, with a good portion being Hebrew as well. It was then translated into Greek, and then further into Latin and then English.

Considering the fact it was under the ROMAN rule....

they would have already known latin in Jerusalem. Smile However, Greek was widely favored MORE in the Galilee area.

Since Jesus seems to have had Rabbi training (considering they called him Rabbi), he knew Greek. He would have spoken it somewhat frequently. Hebrew was rarely used by then, because for the last few decades and centuries, Greek and Latin had been stealing in.

I would think that the majority of the NT would have been in Greek anyways, because from commentaries I've read, the people knew Greek in Jerusalem

In the countryside, i'm assuming Araramic was used.
Back to top Go down
Banana

Banana

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Riley wrote:
Nikolai wrote:
Scott Becker wrote:

Considering the fact it was under the ROMAN rule....

they would have already known latin in Jerusalem. Smile However, Greek was widely favored MORE in the Galilee area.

Since Jesus seems to have had Rabbi training (considering they called him Rabbi), he knew Greek. He would have spoken it somewhat frequently. Hebrew was rarely used by then, because for the last few decades and centuries, Greek and Latin had been stealing in.

I would think that the majority of the NT would have been in Greek anyways, because from commentaries I've read, the people knew Greek in Jerusalem

In the countryside, i'm assuming Araramic was used.

But Jesus grew up in Galilee, which was like the hillbilly central in Israel. Thus, Aramaic. My $.02
Back to top Go down
Nikolai
Nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:49 pm

I really don't envision Jews ministering to Jews in Greek or Latin. It's like two Mexicans talking to each other. They're not going to speak English. Not willingly, anyways.
Back to top Go down
Invisible

Invisible

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:51 pm

Its fun to study that stuff, yeah?

Another little factoid: Jesus was unusual among rabbis in that he did not have a wife or family. Most rabbis married.

Another little factoid: We often think that Jesus broke the law to spit in the faces of the Pharisees. Not so. He observed the feasts, at least, and was baptized so that "he could fulfill all righteousness." he merely pointed out the HIGHER applications of the law while fulfilling it.

And by doing so, he made us Holy. What was in the Ark of the Covenant? The ten commandments, the staff of Aaron, and a pot of manna. Jesus is the fulfillment of the law- our great high priest who stands between us and God - and the Bread of Life.

Since he lives in us...we are now the Ark of the Covenant. Interesting to think of that in practical terms. If people died for improperly handling the Ark....
Back to top Go down
Nikolai
Nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:54 pm

That was...considerably more in-depth than the conversation called for. =P
Lightbreaker wrote:

Its fun to study that stuff, yeah?

Not really. 'Tis mostly studied for legalistic reasons, and in the long run, has absolutely no affect on one's salvation, save for a major point in many church splits.
Lightbreaker wrote:

Another little factoid: We often think that Jesus broke the law to spit in the faces of the Pharisees. Not so. He observed the feasts, at least, and was baptized so that "he could fulfill all righteousness." he merely pointed out the HIGHER applications of the law while fulfilling it.

Anybody who thinks that Jesus broke the law to begin with is a moron, methinks. 'tis contradiction to his very nature.

Lightbreaker wrote:
Since he lives in us...we are now the Ark of the Covenant. Interesting to think of that in practical terms. If people died for improperly handling the Ark....

I would use this to argue in favour of tattooing, based on the fact that the Ark was highly adorned. Just sayin'...

Last edited by Nikolai on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Invisible

Invisible

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:59 pm

I don't mind tattoos, myself. I think the reason people are against them is the other verse in 1 Corinthians about defiling the temple- which is us.

However, in context, it is talking about sexual immorality. And...the temple was also highly adorned. *shrugs* But what do I know? I'm not a pastor. =P

I was thinking more about those sorts of things than marking yourself up. We ought to treat everyone as though they are holy, not just flesh and bone.
Back to top Go down
Nikolai
Nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 9:10 pm

Lightbreaker wrote:
I don't mind tattoos, myself. I think the reason people are against them is the other verse in 1 Corinthians about defiling the temple- which is us.

Aye. I've had this discussion with my father, as I have a tattoo, and he is of a more conservative lean. The conclusion I've come to is that much of what's written there is concerning rituals that were involved in paganism and the like. Tattoos these days are considered works of art, rather than works of worship. Nonetheless, I'm not inclined to get some of the more garish stuff, nor religion-related ink.

I want biomech and ultra-realistic 3D tattooing, methinks.

Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 3d_tattoo_6

And

Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 2921525714_0cdb3cbcb4

But as one sleeve, having muscle blending into gears and then back again. And if anyone reads this and steals my idea, I'm going to cut that limb off and beat them with it. >.>
Back to top Go down
Banana

Banana

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 9:22 pm

O.O I can't imagine how expensive that must be. But yes, you would get quite the stares.
Back to top Go down
Nikolai
Nikolai

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 9:24 pm

'Twould probably be upwards of $2000. We'll see if I can actually get it done. The military has rules about tattoos. =/
Back to top Go down
Invisible

Invisible

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Nik...I like that idea. I won't steal it, though.

I want a lion's head wearing a crown on my back, with Lion of the Tribe of Judah written below it, in black and white. And maybe with a serpent in its teeth. The serpent might be going too far, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread   Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread - Page 28 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Babble-on: The Official Chat Thread
Page 28 of 44Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 36 ... 44  Next